Cheesy BBQ Chicken Bites
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Bites are perfect for your next gathering or big game showdown. Perfect balance of Chicken, Cheese, BBQ Sauce and Bread with the benefit of a finger food.
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!? I know I am! It seems as though the Big Game is further and further away each year and I can never keep the dates straight. This year I happen to be very aware of when it is, up to this point, as the play offs have afforded my team victory and they have a chance to be Bowl bound! I whipped up these Cheesy BBQ Chicken Bites last weekend during the games. I ended up making 40 of these thinking I would have plenty. Needless to say, they were gone in a heartbeat. In conclusion: make more next time.
Quick, easy and most importantly affordable for feeding a large crowd, these Cheesy BBQ Chicken Bites are sure to play center stage on your hors d’oeuvre table this season.
Lets take a mental note on this dish real fast. Cheese? check. BBQ Sauce? check. Chicken? Check. Bread? Check. Above all, Schmancy Pancy’ish? check. Okay, so I’m pretending the last one is a real word but look at these beauties!
Sure to impress, let’s take a look at how quickly these come together. Shall we? We shall.
Making BBQ Chicken Bites
First, heat your oven to 375 and prepare your chicken breast in a roasting pan liberally loved with Kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Like so:
You’ll want to bake these at 375 degrees for 15 minutes then drop the temperature to 325 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
While your chicken is roasting, start preparing the onions. Slice thin and coat with Panko bread crumbs, flour and kosher salt. If you do not have a mandolin, carefully slice with a knife.
Spread onto a baking sheet and place in the lower rack with your roasting chicken.
You’ll want to be sure and stir as well as turn over your onions every 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes. If any of the smaller ones start to burn or look done however, remove those and continue cooking.
Meanwhile, with your onions cooking and your chicken roasting, slice your baguette’s into 1/2 inch slices and lay onto sheet pans. After that, brush evenly with your melted butter.
Season your bread slices with Italian seasoning.
When your chicken has reached temperature remove from the oven and let rest, tented with a piece of foil, for 10 minutes. Then, slice each breast into 1/4″ slices and begin assembling your Cheesy BBQ Chicken Bites. Top each piece of baquette with a swipe of BBQ sauce, a slice of chicken, more BBQ sauce.
Finally, add the cheese.
With your broiler on high, place your Cheesy BBQ Chicken Bites into the oven and broil for 5-8 minutes. Most importantly, you’ll want to watch these and not venture too far from the oven. If you’re anything like me, that is when my bread goes from just about done to burnt so I tend to stick around.
Remove from the broiler then and top each slice with your already cooked onion straws. Garnish with Parsley, plate and serve! Watch these little babies disappear and enjoy the satisfaction knowing you pleased the taste-buds of your guests.
So, what are you waiting for?
Live, Love, Eat!
Check out some of our other great recipes
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Bites
- 2 Sourdough Baquettes or french
- 3 lbs Chicken Breast
- 1 1/2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Butter melted
- 1/4 cup Flour - all purpose
- 2 TBS Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 med Red Onions - Sliced very thin
- 2 TBS Seasoning Salt
- No stick spray or oil - to coat baking sheet
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Parsley - chopped - for garnish optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 Degrees
- Line a roasting pan with foil and place your chicken breast being sure to leave at least 1" in between each piece. Cover with salt and pepper to taste. Roast chicken for 15 minutes then lower temperature to 325 degrees and roast until the center of the thickest part reaches 165 degrees.
- Meanwhile; combine the flour, panko, 1 tsp Kosher salt, and 2 tbs seasoning salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Either using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, slice onions into very thing rings. Break onion rings apart and coat in flour mixture. Place coated onions onto a prepared baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Cook onions, turning them over every 10 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes. Remove any pieces that look done and continue to cook until 30 minutes is up.
- While onions are cooking, slice baguettes into 1/2" slices and line on baking sheets.
- Melt butter and apply atop baguette slices with a pastry brush.
- Season baguettes with Italian seasoning and set aside.
- Once chicken has reached temperature and rested for 10 minutes, slice across the grain into 1/4" slices and set aside.
- Brush each bread slice lightly with your BBQ sauce.
- Place a slice of chicken on top of your bread slice. Brush with sauce again.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese atop each piece
- Place in the broiler, on high, for 5 to minutes. Stay close and check often.
- Remove from broiler and top each slice with your prepared onion straws.
- Plate, Serve and ENJOY!
- GAME ON!