Easy One Pan Chicken and Veggies – Hunger Satisfied
Chicken thighs, zucchini, yellow squash, and potatoes come together in this one-pan meal. Easy, convenient, and oh so delicious!
One-pan chicken and veggies – aka sheet pan meal, I wasn’t going to do it, you guys. I actually had refused, in my mind, to not jump on the trend and do a one-pan meal. Not because I don’t like them but I honestly could not see how they would feed my household of five (sometimes 6) people. I understand the one pan, or sheet pan, meals are designed for ease and convenience, however, I couldn’t wrap my head around it.
Well, I’m here to tell you that this one-pan meal delivered. There were actually six people in the homestead for dinner that night and everyone was satisfied. The one thing that didn’t happen which normally is status quo in my house – no leftovers. I absolutely loved it! We are not a huge leftover kind of family so this was perfect for me.
What kind of chicken for our one-pan chicken and veggies?
You’ll want to pick up the boneless, skinless chicken thighs from your local grocer. We love the boneless chicken thighs because they are very easy to eat and there is no fussing with the bone. You’ll also want to pick up garlic powder. Not granulated or minced garlic but the actual powder. Please be careful not to grab garlic salt as we have a good amount of salt in the spice mixture.
Why not fresh garlic, you ask? In my experience, the seasoning mixture that contains garlic powder as opposed to any other type of garlic dissolves better while still offering garlic flavor and will not burn or run the chance of being undercooked on the inside of the chicken thigh. Also, for this particular application, the mouthfeel of garlic granules is non-existent. Be sure to read your labels and buy only powdered garlic without any additives. Other than rubs or marinades, my go-to is fresh garlic!
Start by measuring out your garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper (cayenne), beau monde, and celery salt. Mix these together and set them aside.
Next, you’ll want to line a sheet pan with parchment paper and lay your chicken thighs out with the top side down. You want the part where the bone used to be facing up.
Season your chicken thighs, liberally, with the spice mixture. Then roll the chicken, folding each side in, to form the thigh as they were removed from the package. On another sheet pan, place a light coating of oil and center your chicken thighs in the middle of the pan.
Slice your zucchini and yellow squash and line them up on one side of the pan next to the chicken. Add your hashbrowns to the opposite side of the pan. Season the entire pan liberally with your spice mixture and drizzle olive oil over the top of the potatoes, chicken, and squash.
Place the entire one pan chicken and veggies into a 350-degree oven and bake until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees (about 30-45 minutes)
Stir the potatoes and squash one to two times while cooking to assure even cooking. I added seasoning again each time I stirred the vegetables and potatoes.
Once the chicken has reached its temperature you can opt to top with barbecue sauce. I added a homemade BBQ sauce to the chicken thighs, baked an additional 5 minutes and called it good.
Pull it out of the oven, add fresh parsley and serve! I served this meal with a salad and strawberry shortcake for dessert. It was wonderful and easy and quick and convenient. All those things everyone has been raving about…..I totally get it.
Obviously, there are a million one-pan meals out there. I hope you give this one-pan chicken and veggies a try!
Have you tried a sheet pan meal yet? I’d love to know your thoughts!
Live, Love, Eat!
Check out our other meals!
Leftover Pork Loin and What To Do With It – there are two meals in this post!
21 Day Fix – Juicy, Blackened Chicken Tenders – definitely a kick in the mouth with this one but I love that!
Easy One Pan Chicken and Veggies - Hunger Satisfied
- 3 lbs boneless skinless, chicken thighs
- 1 lb freshly diced potatoes or flash frozen hashbrowns
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 crooked neck squash yellow squash
- Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper cayenne
- 1 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Measure out the garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper, beau monde and celery salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Remove your chicken from the packaging and place bone side up onto a parchment lined sheet. Season liberally with the spice mixture then roll each side in to form them as they were in the package originally.
- Place chicken in the center of a lightly oiled sheet pan.
- Slice the zucchini and yellow squash and place on one side of the chicken.
- Toss potatoes or hashbrowns lightly in olive oil then place them on the opposite side of the pan.
- Season liberally with spice mixture, drizzle olive oil over the entire pan and place in the oven.
- Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees stirring vegetables and potatoes during cooking.
- *Optional - Once the chicken has reached temperature, brush with barbecue sauce and return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add fresh parsley and serve.