Simple Sausage and Artichoke – Easy 15 Minute Side
15 minutes and 4 ingredients will have this sausage and artichoke dish ready to enjoy alone or alongside your favorite main dish. Rich, deep flavor that will have your tastebuds wanting more.
Simple sausage and artichoke heart side dish that is not simple in flavor. Great as a side dish to a hearty protein, top your ramen with it for a quick flavor boost or grab a tortilla, scramble an egg and call it breakfast.
I used the leftovers in a quick stuffing, added in a bit of butter and seared chicken; topped it with cheese and baked it in the oven for 20 minutes. It was absolutely a favorite in my house.
So, lets get started!
If you’re using a cast iron skillet as I have in this recipe, make sure to preheat your pan slightly. Start by cooking your sausage until no longer pink. This took approximately 5 minutes however, I have made this recipe with sausage cooked the night before.
If you want to save some time I would suggest that and then just heating it through to serve your dish.
Once cooked, remove and set aside.
Prep Tip: While your sausage is cooking away, slice your mushrooms and onions so that they are ready to go.
Once your sausage is cooked and set aside, add in one tablespoon of butter to the same pan and let melt.
Add in your sliced onions and let them cook until just starting to caramelize. This should take about 5 to 6 minutes depending on how hot your skillet is and if you are using cast iron.
Once your onions begin to caramelize, drop in your sliced mushrooms and combine. Letting them sweat slightly and adding a pinch of salt.
After 2 or 3 minutes, add in your drained artichoke hearts and stir to combine.
Finally, add in the sausage that was set aside or the batch you cooked the night before stir and let heat through. Add in the crushed red pepper, if using, stirring well.
Serve straight from the skillet and enjoy! This is such a flavorful dish that I actually had a serving all on its own. Chefs prerogative, snack-age, right? Right…
Be sure to check out these other quick side dishes!
Want a perfect main dish to go along with this? Check out our other options below:
I hope you guys enjoyed this dish! If you tried it, go ahead and give it a rating and leave a comment below. Let me know how it went, what you added and if it worked out for you!
Live, Love, Eat!
Easy 15 Minute Side - Simple Sausage and Artichoke
- 1 pound Sausage
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion Sliced
- 1.5 cups Mushroom Sliced - I used portabella, you can use whichever you prefer
- 1 can Artichoke Hearts 14.1 ounce can
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- Prep Tip: If you cook the sausage the night before and hold it in the refrigerator; you cut down the time of this recipe.If cooking sausage the same day, while the sausage is cooking: slice onions and mushrooms to make things go quicker.
- In a preheated pan, cook sausage until no longer pink. Continually breaking up the sausage until you have crumbles and stirring to cook evenly. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the same pan. Once butter is melted, add in sliced onions and cook until starting to caramelize. Approximately 5 minutes. You want them browning some and for the onion to be soft.
- Add in sliced mushrooms of your choosing and stir to combine with the onions. Cook until softened; approximately 3 minutes.
- Add in 1 can of drained artichoke hearts and stir to combine. Once combined add the sausage you already cooked back to the pan and stir to heat the entire dish through.
- If using, add in crushed red pepper flakes, stir to combine.Serve straight from the skillet or transfer to a serving bowl. Most of all, enjoy!